06 July 2007

Amsterdam in rain (2)


Another view of the canal.
43990012

Then I decided to try to find Anne Franck's house, where Anne hided for two years and wrote her famous diary "Het Achterhuis" before being caught and killed in the concentration camp.

A restaurant.
43990011

This grocery store is probably asked too many times how to get to Anne's house, so they put a plate above the door to show the direction.
43990010

Then I found a long line trying to get into a small door.
43990009

I gave up. At least 100 people were lining up there. According to travel guide, half million visitors enter Anne's house each year. And because it's a very small house, they allow only a few people to go in at once.

It's a pity I couldn't go in. But I'd rather see more views of the city anyway (than spending much time on Jewish history).

Not far away is the West Church (Westerkerk), which has the highest tower (85M) in Amsterdam. It was built in 1622! And what interests me more is that Rembrandt was actually buried here (but nobody knows exactly where in the church?!).
43990008

A lovely boat house on the "Prince canal" (Prinsengracht).
43990007

Then I got a little tired and it's also near lunch time, so I started walking toward where I started--the Dam.

A decoration of the pier.
43990006

When I walked by the Dam for the second time of the day, it became very crowded with lots of tourists and street performers. There was also this cute buggy.
43990005

The hackman looks like a good friend with the horse...
43990004

A souvenir shop.
43990002

I didn't buy anything there, though I almost did buy the canned sunflower seeds and tulip bulbs that seem easy to cultivate. Just worried the Taiwanese customs wouldn't allow me to bring it home. Otherwise it seems like a good gift...

A florist.
43990001

Having no idea what to eat for lunch, I decided to go back to the hotel. Cafe Roux, the main restaurant in the hotel, surprisingly, doesn't supply lunch. So I ordered from room service menu. But before that, I was shocked that my camera was out of battery!! It is quite special battery (CR2) so I really worried maybe I couldn't even find it in this European city on Sunday. I rushed to the main shopping street and look for film processors. I found a coupe of them but none were open, deepening my concerns. I tried a few souvenir shops. They don't have this type of batteries, either, as I expected. I went to a store selling travel gears with little hope in mind. Indeed they don't sell this battery, but the boss advised maybe I could find it in the biggest camera shop in Amsterdam and showed me the way. So I finally got two CR2s for 17 Euro dollars. Very expensive. But better than none.

A test photo basically. On the main street (Damrak).
44010021

There are many such tiny alleys in the city.
44010020

Wooden pillar in the canal.
44010019

Little yellow Fiat.
44010018

Then I went back to the room and had a hamburger for lunch. But it wasn't very tasty. :-(
44010015

(To be continued)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger 紫之舞 said...

the lovely boat house by the canal...
just one day to stay there would be truly lovely~

the canal scenes remind me of our honeymoon...those walks along canals made a good memory for us, didn't them?

"the hackman with his good friend" looks like a postcard, i like it :-)

7/09/2007  
Blogger EACH said...

馬 馬伕 馬車那張有意思(橫幅)!!

7/09/2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home